Association’s E-Learning: A Primary Member Benefit
Headquartered in Switzerland, the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) is the largest professional medical oncology association in Europe, with more than 10,000 members.
A prominent benefit of ESMO membership is continuing medical education (CME) offered through on-demand e-learning webinars. The ESMO online learning modules are accredited with ESMO-MORA category 1 points and by ACOE (Accreditation Council of Oncology in the EU). ESMO e-learning modules also contain an optional test which ESMO members can take and pass in order to earn their CME credits.
Replacing An Inferior Webinar Platform
In the past, ESMO had experienced multiple challenges with its webcasting platform. The presentations would not run on most browsers, causing frustration for its members, for example.
Other issues included:
- Poor sound quality: Speakers would dial in and present over the phone, and the phone line was often low quality, resulting in a poor voice recording.
- Outdated layout: The webcast console layout was unappealing and out of date.
- Lack of customer service availability. When there was an issue, ESMO had little success speaking to a live customer service representative and routinely would have to go through their sales account manager to report technical issues.
Migrating To On24 For Improved Access, Responsiveness And Cost
In March 2014, ESMO moved to ON24 Webcast Elite – a flexible, self-service webcast-creation platform that could easily support the migration of existing ESMO e-learning courses.
In addition to easy migration, ESMO chose ON24 for a variety of other factors, including:
- The webinars are accessible on all browsers, with no downloads required.
- Mobile access and viewing capabilities: ESMO understood that its physician-based membership increasingly relies on mobile and tablet devices to consume information.
- Flexible recording capabilities: Physician speakers appreciate the flexibility of Webcast Elite to record the content on their schedule, from any location, with better sound quality.
- Customizable console: ESMO welcomed the ability to customize and brand the webcast background to make it more appealing, as well as the ability for members to customize their viewing experience.
- Competitive pricing: The ON24 Webcast Elite platform was more affordable, an important consideration for a not-for-profit organization.
ESMO migrated approximately 40 e-learning webinars to Webcast Elite. The process was relatively problem-free thanks to an ON24 migration tool that enabled ESMO to upload PowerPoint presentations to Webcast Elite and synchronize the audio portion of the slides.
ON24 Delivers Savings, Accessibility And Satisfaction
In early May 2014, the organization launched its new e-learning platform, offering several new webinars created on Webcast Elite as well as the library of migrated webinars.
The flexible and easy-to-use Webcast Elite self-service platform gives ESMO more control of the webinar creation and delivery process and is:
- Saving time and money: ESMO should achieve an estimated 25% savings over its previous solution. Along with a lower-priced webinar platform, there were additional labor and time savings from not having to deal with accessibility and technical issues.
- Improving the user experience: Increased satisfaction among ESMO members with the society’s e-learning portfolio.
- Establishing ESMO’s reputation as an innovator: Other non-profit associations have reached out to ESMO to inquire about its improved e-learning platform, looking to bring the same webcast functionalities to their own member bases.
With a more reliable platform and more engaging presentations, ESMO is leveraging its strong social media presence, promoting the new platform to its growing audience of LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter followers, resulting in numerous favorable responses.